Booking Needed For Merton's Garth Road Tip
Limited availability and queues to dump your refuse and recycling
Merton’s Garth Road recycling centre has re-opened after household tips across the country closed for business more than a month ago.
But residents planning on using the Morden facility need to book a slot, which can be done up to two days in advance. However today (May 14) there were no bookable slots available.
There are also limited opening hours, which mean it is only open for four hours each weekday, although longer at the weekend.
People using the centre are told it is for essential use only and are warned there will still be queues. Full details of the new user conditions are below:
- Revised opening hours are as follows, but you must have a valid booking and arrive during your booked time slot:
- Monday-Friday: 8.30am - 12.30pm
- Saturday: 9am - 4pm
- Sunday: 9am - 2pm
- Last entry 30 minutes before closing time.
- Traffic management - Please be prepared to queue for longer than usual (even though you've pre-booked your visit). Additional traffic management will be in place - follow the instructions provided on the signs and by site staff.
- Hygiene - Site staff will be carrying out enhanced cleaning regimes throughout the day, including wiping down handrails. You may wish to bring your own gloves and hand sanitizer. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after visiting the site.
- Site staff - Please treat our site staff with respect at all times; they are doing their best to keep the site open for you under difficult circumstances. Abuse towards site staff will not be tolerated and we reserve the right to refuse entry to the site.
- What you can bring - Initially the site will only accept the following four types of waste. Please sort your waste into these four groups before leaving home to reduce the amount of time you spend on site.
- Household general waste securely tied in rubbish bags - no electrical items, hazardous waste, DIY waste, gas bottles or batteries should be put in these bags
- Garden waste - loose (no bags)
- Small electrical items - that you can safely carry without assistance
- Small bulky waste items (e.g. furniture) - that you can safely carry without assistance
- Please do not bring the following items to the site:
- Rigid plastics (garden furniture, toys, plant pots etc.)
- Glass jars and bottles and plastic bottles, puts, tubs and trays (these can all be recycled using your recycling collection service)
- Hazardous waste e.g. asbestos, chemicals, oil based paints or varnishes
- Vehicle restrictions – Cars only. No vans or large vehicles, no trailers, no pedestrians, no bikes.
- Residents only – You must bring ID (driving licence or recent council tax statement) with you to prove you are a Merton resident.
- One person to exit a vehicle – To reduce the number of people on site, only one person will be allowed to exit each vehicle, unless two people are required to move large or bulky items safely. Site staff will be instructed to maintain a two-metre distance from customers at all times - they will not be able to assist you with unloading your items.
May 14, 2020